Tuesday, August 4, 2020, 12:30-3:30 PM
The properties for the RFA’s Annual Home Tour and Taste of Rangeley have now been finalized. This year’s tour is focusing on beautiful area gardens and one unique property and highlights the work of local architect: Ellen Albrecht of ENS Associates.
Admission to all homes $25. Tickets are available online by clicking HERE. You may also visit the Box Office Mon-Thurs from 10-2, or call 207-864-5000.
COVID RESTRICTIONS: Social Distancing between groups will be required in all locations, inside and out. Masks are required for anyone entering a property. There will be a limit of 5 at a time inside the one smaller property. Hand sanitizer will be available at every location. There will be a specific flow pattern at each location for all visitors to help maintain social distancing.
The tour will be open August 4, 2020, from 12:30-3:30 PM. The Home Tour is Exclusively Sponsored by ENS Associates and will include Camp Waya Awi as well as the gardens at Blueberry Hill Farm and the Rangeley Inn, the grounds and newly renovated Loon Lodge with the brand-new Pickford Cottage. There will be live music and Covid-safe individual servings of delicious fare at each location, with special thanks to Sarge’s, The Portage House, The Shed, Loon Lodge and the Oquossoc Grocery, who are generously donating samples of their fare. Social distancing will be observed and hand sanitizer will be available at all locations; if you are unable to maintain social distance, masks are required – please bring your own.
CLICK HERE FOR 2020 HOME TOUR BROCHURE
About Loon Lodge and Pickford Cottage: “At ENS Associates, it has been a pleasure being involved with the renovations and interior details over the years, since the Wood Family purchased the historic, 100-year-old log building in 2006. In 2019 they annexed the Cottage up the hill, and keeping with the camp aesthetic atmosphere did a full renovation using faux metal ceilings, copper counter tops, wood blinds, paint colors, rugs and traditional window treatments. The basement garden level renovation in the main Lodge involved the addition of the Copper Tap function room, which is all about creating a warm and welcoming entry into the elegant rustic Rangeley experience. Just recently in the Great Room we recovered the hickory furniture with an updated camp pattern and new cushioning; new, locally built tables and lamps round out the seating group.” – Ellen Albrecht
Loon Lodge History: 1909- This grand old lodge was built as a family camp by the Ludeke Family and originally named “Camp Weduba.” 1923- The Lodge was sold to the Smith family which had seven children and was lovingly known as the Smith Family Camp for many years. 1952- The Davis Family purchased it as a private home. 1960- The lodge opened to the public for lodging and dining as “The Davis Lodge.” This was also the first year that Saddleback Mountain opened. 1966- Guy Gannett of Gannett Publishing purchased the lodge for use as a vacation retreat for his employees and visiting business guests. 1973- Chester and Burdys Page purchased the lodge and renamed it the Rangeley Lake Lodge. In 1976 they added the pub. 1980- New owners, Joyce Martin and Fred Slater, changed the name back to Davis Lodge. They kept the lodge open for guests and dining. 1984- Sold to the Prescott family who rented the lodge not as an Inn but as a home for families for all occasions. They renamed it ”The Loon Lodge” and the small cabin on property was named ”Mookwa” meaning “Little Loon” in Algonquin. 1998- New owners Steve & Fernlyn Philbrick re-opened the dining room to the public. 2000- New owner Winter Knight put a foundation under the lodge. 2006- The present owners have enhanced the aesthetics of land and lodge, creating elegant gardens and landscapes and in 2010 renovated the lower level to create a beautiful room on the garden level with a private bar.
Camp Waya Awi: In May 1934, Addie Tilney of Windsor, CT leased her land and buildings on the northeast shore of Gull Pond to Camp Waya-Awi Inc. for five years with an option for an additional five years. John Mason Tilney was president of the camps and Page Sharp its secretary. Page and Laura Sharp opened a tutorial school for boys that summer with a main lodge, servant’s quarters, guesthouse, workshop studio and boathouse/garage. It is said that all the sand for the beach at the boys camp came from Portland by ox cart, a three-day trip in the early 1900s. In 1948 they leased the adjoining Wadsworth property (this was just south of their property) and accepted girls for the first time in what they called Ouananiche. By 1955 there were 37 buildings on 2.5 miles of shorefront. There were six class periods in the morning and in each period there was one teacher per student. The afternoon was devoted to camp activities and there was a two-hour study period every evening except Saturday. At the height of the operation there were over 200 campers. In December 1958 Willard Wardsworth and his sister in law, Anita Dunn Kaufmann sold all their property to Camp Waya Awi. After Page died in May 1961, his wife ran the camp for three years and in February 1964 sold the Ouananiche section to Dallas Plantation Inc. Two other individuals involved were Andrea Masse and Arthur Johnson. The purchase included about 2800 feet of shorefront. The boy’s camp section was subdivided separately and sold as individual lots by S C Noyes and Mrs. Sharp sold the land on the south shore of the pond to several different individuals. In 1967 the main lodge and boy’s dining room, which served 175 people, were torn down. The camp operated until 1978 when it closed. Many of the buildings in the Ouananiche section are still there including three log cabins connected by a long porch, which was the main camp of Willard Wadsworth.
Blueberry Hill Farm: Original Farm- 160 acres-Built by James Hoar Nile & Samantha Hinckley Nile about 1864, originally as a log cabin.
Rebuilt as the present home around 1880 with lumber cut and sawn from trees on the farm woodlands. Cost of construction was $1,000. The barn was destroyed and lost in The Hurricane of 1938. Some of the barn-boards have been repurposed in the main home.
Monet Robbins and his wife owned the property for many years along with the Saddleback Lake Lodge. Some of the buildings on the present property were moved from Saddleback Lake to the farm’s property. Monet had blueberry fields and gardens that helped supply the lodge with fruit and vegetables. He ran an antique shop in several of the outbuildings which stayed open until 2002, when Don & Stephanie Palmer sold the property to the present owner.
The present owner moved in and started to bring the property back to blueberry fields, fruit, and vegetable gardens. Through the years, part of the property was split off and sold. Currently, the twenty-two acre property boasts three acres of low-bush blueberries, half acre of garden, quarter acre for a spring fed pond, two acres of home, out buildings and lawn. The remaining property is a 60-70 year old spruce tree farm. The current owner has recently added a sawmill on the property and is turning out lumber from the property.
Under the present ownership the fields have been brush hogged and sulfur added to restore and reestablish the low-bush blueberry fields, which were commercially harvested years ago. The garden space (always a project) was started to be brought back twelve years ago with lots of clearing, plowing tilling and removal of boulders as large as cars. The greenhouse and farm stand were constructed six years ago. The owner is proud to say that he is able to produce a great crop of vegetables, fruit and boulders!
Rangeley Inn Gardens – The Rangeley Inn has invested in beauty! Hidden behind this classic inn on Main St. are new and amazing gardens created by Travis Ferland, owner-operator of the inn. Enjoy over 150 feet of wide, classic perennial gardens with over 40 different species of perennials intermixed with vegetables and annuals for a truly spectacular display. There will be live music to keep you entertained as you experience all the visual and aromatic splendor on display.
The historic Rangeley Inn, built in 1907, has recently undergone several interior renovations. The most recent, completed in 2018, focused on the Inn’s Ellis Wing. This project required the addition of new foundation walls and the excavation of the Inn’s courtyard, including its elaborate perennial gardens. Many of these plants were relocated during the project, and the new gardens were established after its completion. Interestingly, the Ellis Wing was originally a separate establishment located nearby on Main Street called The Frazer Inn; it was purchased in 1919, moved a few hundred feet, and attached to The Rangeley Inn.
Tickets for the tour are now on sale at the RFA Lakeside Theater Box Office, Mon-Thurs, 10 am-2 pm, and online at www.rangeleyarts.org. Click HERE for tickets. Tickets may also be purchased on the day of the tour at any of the tour sites. Home Tour booklets may be obtained online or at the box office.
Due to Covid, this is the only fundraiser event for the RFA this season. All proceeds go toward supporting the arts in the Rangeley Lakes Region. For tickets and information, visit www.rangeleyarts, org. The RFA is a non-profit arts organization “Bringing the Arts to Life” in the western mountains of Maine.
Please present your ticket at the first home to receive your pass to the rest of the homes.